Forrest Heights United Methodist Church
Lubbock TX

79410



Tumblr
LinkedIn
Reddit
XING
WhatsApp
VK
Telegram


Who we are

MISSION STATEMENT

Our mission at Forrest Heights UMC is to make disciples: to seek persons for Christ, to win persons for Christ, to develop persons for Christ, to send persons for Christ.

VISION STATEMENT

We envision a caring, loving community which offers Christ today!



Church Address

Forrest Heights United Methodist Church
3007 33rd Street
Lubbock, TX 79410
United States
Phone: (806) 795-0621
Download vCard with Service Times   Edit

Church Pastor

Doug Hensley
Doug Hensley
Pastor
3007 33rd Street
Lubbock, TX 79410
United States
Phone: (806) 795-0621
Download Pastor Doug Hensley vCard   Edit



Quote of the Day
John 13:35

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Denomination


Affiliations

  Edit

Church Website


Social media


Forrest Heights United Methodist Church on YouTube



Forrest Heights United Methodist Church Facebook Video




Leadership

Leader Name:
Doug Hensley   Edit
Leader Position:
Pastor   Edit
Formal Title:
  Edit
Leader Address:
  Edit
Tel:
Fax:
  Edit
Leader Email:
Leader Bio:
  Edit
  Edit
Other Church Leaders:
  Edit

Leadership Photos



Administration

Admin Name:
  Edit
Admin Position:
Administrative Assistant   Edit
Admin Address:
  Edit
Tel:
Fax:
  Edit
Admin Email:

Mailing Address

  Edit

Driving Directions

A From:
B To:
3007 33rd Street, Lubbock, TX
Mode of Travel:




Travel/Directions Tips

Know how to get there? Share the knowledge with others!   Edit


Parking

  Edit


Forrest Heights United Methodist Church Service Times

WORSHIP WITH US

Traditional Worship Service
Sundays 11 a.m.

IN PERSON
3007 33rd Street
Lubbock, TX 79410

OR

FACEBOOK LIVE
https://www.facebook.com/ForrestHeightsUnitedMethodistChurch

Forrest Heights United Methodist Church service times last updated on the 28th of January, 2021
print
PRINT
increase font size
ZOOM
add to calendar
ICAL
subscribe to updates
SUBSCRIBE
  Edit


Share this page:
Tumblr
LinkedIn
Reddit
XING
WhatsApp
VK
Telegram


Worship Languages

  Edit


Dress Code

  Edit


Sunday School / Children and Youth Activities

Under 12s:
  Edit
Under 18s:
  Edit

Local outreach & community activities

  Edit

Other activities & ministries

  Edit

Special Needs/Accessibility

  Edit

Prayers and Hymns

Main Bible:
  Edit
Hymns and Songs:
  Edit


Other information

Average Adult Congregation:
  Edit
Average Youth Congregation:
  Edit
Additional Info:
  Edit


Church Photos




History of Forrest Heights United Methodist Church, Lubbock TX

HISTORY OF FORREST HEIGHTS

The Beginning: 1947-1960

In 1947 in Lubbock, TX, Forrest Heights United Methodist Church was created when the Board of Missions decided that Lubbock needed a "southwest" church as well as the downtown First Methodist Church and the campus church, St. John's.

Lamar Forrest donated a half-block of land at Elgin and 33rd, in the newly formed Forrest Heights subdivision. The new congregation met in the Plaza Theater at 26th and Boston for the first service May 29, 1949, and for several months thereafter, awaiting what is now the Fellowship Hall and a few offices to be built. Meanwhile, Sunday School classes, the choir, and church officials were organized, along with the Women's Society of Christian Service.

The first on-site service was held on Founder's Day, July 29, 1951, with 330 attending Sunday School and more at the worship service.

By 1953, 212 families belonged to FHMC, and Sunday School classes were meeting in members' nearby homes to accommodate the growth. In September, 1954, plans were approved for a much-needed education wing and basement addition, which was completed the next year.

On Founder's Day, May 17, 1959, plans were approved for a 525-seat sanctuary to be built, with another basement containing 10 classrooms and choir rooms. The 14,000 square foot addition cost $275,000 with furnishings, bringing the completed building's total cost at $525,000.

The sanctuary addition was built by Hap Padgett, with architectural plans by Atcheson, Atkinson, and Cartwright of Lubbock. The Last Supper altarpiece was carved by John M. Stalker.

Other biblical representations were a large lighted wooden cross above the choir loft, a large stained-glass window at the south end of the sanctuary representing Christ, the Holy Spirit, and two disciples, smaller stained-glass windows in the east and west foyers, and 10 stained-glass windows on the east and west walls depicting shields of the other ten disciples. Space was created to house an organ; funds were obtained in 1969. The tower contains a pastor's retreat. The completed Sanctuary was opened formally on April 3, 1960.

Growth and Community Impact: 1960-1970

Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, FHUMC grew to more than 1,000 members and sponsored several choirs, the Child Care Day Center, vacation bible schools and camps, scout organizations, regional UMC conferences, musicals, holiday events, charity drives, and general fellowship, depending on the hard work of its members to complete projects thoroughly. The surrounding neighborhood benefitted greatly from these events, and membership continued to grow. However, with the addition of four new UMC churches in close proximity to FHUMC during the 1960s, membership and attendance began to level off.

One original and notable program occurred in 1968--Fine Arts in the Church. Its two-fold purpose was to introduce art, music, drama, and dance to those who might never have had the opportunity to attend performances, and to encourage attendance at FHUMC with fine arts programming. The performances were well attended by members as well as local residents and were featured in the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

The church's name changed in 1968 from Forrest Heights Methodist Church to Forrest Heights United Methodist Church to reflect the worldwide union between the Evangelical United Brethren with the Methodist Church.

Funds for an organ to fill the space in the sanctuary were obtained in 1969; the first organist was hired in September.

In 1970, FHUMC contributed to the relief efforts in Lubbock's recovery from the May 11 tornado which devastated east Lubbock. Already a civil defense shelter equipped with cots, blankets, food and water in the basement, FHUMC was designated as a first aid center to aid with the injured coming in from all areas of Lubbock. Hitting the city at 9:45 p.m., the tornado left residents and visitors alike without clothing, power or transportation. FHUMC youth used station wagons to transport the injured to area hospitals while those not as badly off stayed for days in the basement shelter.

Cumberland Presbyterian Church was completely destroyed in the tornado. Its congregation was invited to share facilities with FHUMC; CPC held services and school during alternate hours on Sunday with FHUMC for a year while CPC built a new building on Indiana Avenue. In 1971, FHUMC members were honored to be at the dedication of the new building.
Outreach and Renewal: 1970-1999

In 1971, FHUMC joined "Contact Lubbock," a 24-hour telephone ministry. Using home phones fitted with amplifiers, shut-ins could list to FHUMC Sunday morning services. This continued until 1976, when FHUMC began broadcasting 30 minutes of its Sunday service over KLLL. Rev. McBrayer also encouraged elderly parishioners to be more active in the church and formed the VIPS (very important persons) group for educational and recreational fellowship. It met once a month for several years.

Because of the unification of the Methodists and the Brethren in 1968, plans began to unite all of the women’s groups into one organization. The Women’s Society of Christian Service and the Wesleyan Service Guild joined to form the United Methodist Women in 1973. The official change was celebrated on Feb. 18, 1973 at the morning worship service.

Another group which continues to serve FHUMC is the United Methodist Men. These lay men have monthly breakfast meetings, cook for the ladies on Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day, raise funds for various projects for the church, provide the “muscle” for church dinners by setting up tables and chairs for these and other events.

Throughout FHUMC’s history, the youth organizations helped with outreach to young and old. They created money-making projects to fund their activities, organized field trips in Lubbock and around the state, held parties for the children at Easter and Christmas, sang in the youth choir, and held graduation banquets in the Fellowship Hall. Several students held offices at the district level. In 1981, their efforts were recognized when they were named one of the top 12 youth groups in the nation.

After many years, the church was able to acquire the adjacent two lots to the west of the Fellowship Hall and expanded its parking area. The new lot was consecrated in October, 1982. Also in the 1980s and 1990s, after church finances improved, the sanctuary received new red hymnals, while the rest of the building was repainted and re-carpeted. Due to recent burglaries, an alarm system was installed in 1988. Church records were computerized. In 1990, the heating and cooling units were replaced in the education wing, while the sanctuary AC was replaced in 1995. A small fire did no structural damage but required significant cleaning of the smoke damage. Restrooms were renovated and made accessible. The stage of the Fellowship Hall was moved from the south end to the north end (the altar archway remained at the south end).

During Rev. David Robertson’s years in the 1990s, one tradition started which continues today: the Birthday/Anniversary Church. On the last Sunday of each month, members who have had a birthday and/or an anniversary are invited to come to the altar for the congregation to sing to them. The celebrants are invited to place thanks offering inside the miniature Mission Church which is on the altar. It has beautiful stained-glass windows and is lit from within. The offerings are used for various conference commitments for the year.

In 1994 a handbell choir was started which continues to play about six times a year at the Sunday morning service as well as the Christmas Eve service. Members of the choir as well as youth are recruited to play for the congregation which thoroughly enjoys and appreciates their efforts.

As part of its outreach ministry, FHUMC participated in Habitat for Humanity in 1994. Several members of the congregation helped, but on Sept. 18, 1994, rains were predicted before the roof was completed. After a Sunday morning service plea for help, 12 members completed the roof in one afternoon! Lightning finally forced them to quit. On Oct. 16, the house was finished and the more than 40 members who had built the house as well as many members of the congregation gathered to consecrate the home.

Another part of the outreach effort was a Hispanic Ministry on Sunday afternoons and a Sonshine class for persons with special needs. A new sound system for the sanctuary included hearing aids for those needing amplification. The UMW sewed quilts and collected food for the South Plains Food Bank.

Foreign missions also were an integral part of FHUMC outreach. The UMW made dolls for children in Mozambique, and the Heifer Project was introduced to provide crops and animals for third-world countries. In 1995, an ark was built in the sanctuary; at 16 feet long, it covered most of the foyer. Each Sunday the ark was moved to a different location and a weather report given. Stuffed animals were delivered two-by-two, and families brought miniature arks filled with donations for the Heifer Project.

FHUMC continued its service to the Forrest Heights community and congregation through the 1990s. The church celebrated its fiftieth anniversary on May 15-16, 1999 with receptions for former pastors and spouses, charter and founding members, and all present members and friends of the church; a Wesley Sunday School Class reunion; and a special Sunday worship service with preaching by retired District Superintendent Dr. Clifford Trotter and a catered luncheon following.

2000-Present

Over the past 20 plus years, Forrest Heights UMC has continued to have a strong presence in the Tech Terrace neighborhood, offering a traditional worship experience and a place where nearby groups can meet and fellowship with each other.

The church celebrated its 70th anniversary in May 2019 with an open house, special worship service and meal. More than 150 people attended, including Lubbock Mayor Pro Tem Jeff Griffith, who delivered a special proclamation from the City Council recognizing the important moment in the life of the church. The service was also attended by District Superintendent Don Boren and several former pastors.

A number of outstanding pastors have served the church during the past two decades, including Namiqa Shipman (1998 - 2000) and Ross Dunn (2008 - December 2012). Other to serve during that time are Vergil Ichtertz, Bruce Parks, Wayne Salguero, Milton Chester and Michael Kirkwood.

The Rev. Don Holliday was the pastor of Forrest Heights from Jan. 2013 through June 2016 as part of a two-point charge that included Agape UMC (also in Lubbock). Doug Hensley was appointed to the Forrest Heights pulpit in June 2016 and continues to serve the church.

The church had a long and deep connection to scouting, thanks to great members such as Robert Clark, Bill Hewitt, Dave Swartz and others, who devoted much of their time to mentoring and teaching young boys.

Forrest Heights UMC is one of only two churches (the other is Westminster Presbyterian) located within the historic Tech Terrace neighborhood. A mile from the Texas Tech University campus, it has enjoyed a long partnership with the Tech school of music and continues to sponsor scholarship singers as part of its choir and music ministry.
FHUMC Ministers

To date, 23 ministers have served as pastors to the FHUMC flock, with the able assistance of assistant ministers and lay leaders:

1949 -1953 Rev. Burgin Watkins

1953 -1957 Rev. DeWitt Seago

1957 - 1961 Rev. W.A. Appling

1961 - 1965 Rev. Alby J. Cockrell

1965 - 1973 Rev. O.A. McBrayer

1973 - 1974 Rev. Jim T. Pickens

1974 - 1975 Rev. Samuel P. Auslam

1975 - 1978 Rev. Marvin James

1978 - 1981 Rev. Albert Lindley

1981 - 1986 Rev. Frank Oglesby

1986 - 1990 Rev. Gene Wisdom

1990 - 1993 Rev. Morris Poole

1993 - 1995 Rev. David H. Robertson

1995 - 1998 Rev. Wesley Brown

1998 - 2000 Rev. Namiqa Shipman

2000 - 2003 Rev. Vergil Ichtertz

2003 - 2003 Rev. Bruce Parks

2003 - 2004 Rev. Wayne Salguero

2004 - 2005 Rev. Milton Chester

2006 - 2007 Rev. Michael Kirkwood

2008 - 2012 Rev. Ross Dunn

2013 - 2016 Rev. Don Holiday

2016 - Present Rev. Doug Hensley   Edit


Historical Photos

Page administrator

Contact Email:

The power of Christian prayer "In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart".
John Bunyan
Forrest Heights United Methodist Church listing was last updated on the 28th of January, 2021
Subscribe to Updates
Please enter the correct information below. Thank you!
Subject:
Message:
Your Name:
Your Email:
To confirm you Forrest Heights United Methodist Church, please sign in with one of the social networks below
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Twitter
This church page is missing service times. Please help this page visitors by submitting Forrest Heights United Methodist Church Service Times. Thank you!
Subject:
Forrest Heights United Methodist Church service times
Message:
Your Name:
Your Email:
Forrest Heights United Methodist Church Contact Form
Subject:
Your Name:
Your Email:
Message:
Subscribe to updates:
check this box to receive an email message when this page has been modified
Subscribe to Forrest Heights United Methodist Church updates
Subject:
Subscription to Forrest Heights United Methodist Church updates
Your Name:
Your Email:
As soon as Forrest Heights United Methodist Church updates this page, you'll be notified by email.
Go to top arrow Go to bottom arrow