Who we are

Welcome to Our Lady of the Angels

The Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels at the Franciscan Renewal Center is a Roman Catholic Church led by the Franciscan Order of Friars Minor in cooperation with The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix. We offer spiritual growth through inspiring liturgies, sacraments, fellowship and more. Join us for joyful celebrations featuring our beloved friars and acclaimed musicians. Be spiritually fed, guide a loved one into the faith or find your own way back home.




Location of worship

Our Lady of the Angels
5802 E. Lincoln Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85253
United States
Phone: 480-948-7460 x121
Fax: 480-948-2325
Download Our Lady of the Angels Church vCard with Mass Times   Edit

Church Pastor

Rev. Peter Kirwin, O.F.M.
Pastor
5802 E. Lincoln Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85253
United States
Phone: 480-948-7460 x158
Fax: 480-948-2325
Download Pastor Rev. Peter Kirwin, O.F.M. vCard with leader Bio   Edit



Quote of the Day
Jeremiah 32:17

Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:

Denomination


Affiliations

  Edit

Website


Social media


Our Lady of the Angels Church Scottsdale on YouTube




Leadership

Leader Name:
Rev. Peter Kirwin, O.F.M.   Edit
Leader Position:
Pastor   Edit
Formal Title:
  Edit
Leader Address:
  Edit
Tel:
Fax:
480-948-2325   Edit
Leader Email:
Leader Bio:
Peter Kirwin was born in Troy, New York where he attended public school until high school. After graduating from Catholic Central High, he enrolled in Hudson Valley Community College and completed a Bachelors degree at Wagner College on Staten Island.

His subsequent career included teaching special education, banking and restaurant management. He also was employed with the New York State Department of Mental Hygiene. When he shared with family his desire to become a Franciscan, he was told for the first time of something his grandmother said years earlier as she was dying: “The men in brown robes are coming for Peter.” He soon found himself at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkley, Calif.

In September of 1976, Peter entered the Novitiate of the Order. He was ordained a priest in 1981. Since then, Fr. Peter has served in six churches throughout Washington, Oregon, California and Arizona. He has been assigned to the Franciscan Renewal Center three times: 1991-93, 1998-2002 and since 2009.

In his spare time, Fr. Peter enjoys cooking, reading and music.   Edit
  Edit
Other Church Leaders:
  Edit

Our Lady of the Angels Church Leadership Photos



Administration

Admin Name:
Rosa Rodriguez-Saiz   Edit
Admin Position:
executive assistant to the liturgy office   Edit
Admin Address:
  Edit
Tel:
Fax:
480-948-2325   Edit
Admin Email:

Mailing Address

  Edit

Driving Directions to Our Lady of the Angels Church

A Origin:
B Destination:
5802 E. Lincoln Dr., Scottsdale, AZ
Mode of Travel:




Travel/Directions Tips

Know how to get there? Share the knowledge with others!   Edit


Parking

  Edit


Our Lady of the Angels Church Sunday Mass Times

Weekend Mass

Saturday 5:00 pm
Sunday 7:30 am, 9:15 am 11:00 am, 7:00 pm

Daily Mass Monday - Saturday 7:00 am

Holy Day Masses as announced

Reconciliation please call for appointment

Rosary Tuesday 6:00 pm

Centering Prayer Thursday 7:45 am

Front Desk Hours

Monday - Saturday 7:30 am - 7:30 pm
Sunday 7:30 am - 8:30 pm

Books & Blessings

Monday - Friday 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
Sunday 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Mass Times last updated on the 25th of June, 2019   Edit


Worship Languages

  Edit


Dress Code

  Edit


Children and Youth Activities

Under 12s:
  Edit
Under 18s:
  Edit

A Pocket Catechism for Kids by Fr. Kris Stubna & Mike Aquilina

Parenting Without Regret

Local outreach & community activities

  Edit

Other activities & ministries

  Edit

Special Needs

  Edit

Prayers and Hymns

Main Bible:
  Edit
Hymns and Songs:
  Edit


Other information

Average Adult Congregation:
  Edit
Average Youth Congregation:
  Edit
Additional Info:
  Edit
Medical Alert Systems
Fun way to teach children the 10 Commandments


Our Lady of the Angels Church Photos




History of Our Lady of the Angels Scottsdale AZ

The Franciscan Renewal Center – or “Casa de Paz y Bien” – has existed since 1951 as a place for spiritual retreats, wellness, worship, healing and more. It predates the affluent Town of Paradise Valley – with resorts, mansions, pools, paved roads, and all. That a dusty, former dude ranch would become a God-filled spiritual retreat center and that the Franciscan friars –grounded in vows of poverty – would become surrounded by some of the area’s wealthiest residents speaks to nothing less than the astounding “coincidence of opposites;” that which unifies rather than divides.

Nov. 1, 1951 – The Kachina Lodge is purchased by the Franciscan friars and the 25-acre site officially becomes The Franciscan Retreat, the “Casa de Paz y Bien.”

Jan. 1, 1952 – The Casa opens with a retreat for Diocesan clergy, led by Fr. Owen DaSilva, OFM, as Superior.

Feb. 1, 1952 – The Casa begins its retreat ministry to the public. It holds its first retreat for men.

Feb. 8, 1952 – The Casa holds its first retreat for women.

Feb. 22-24 – What is believed to be the first retreat ever held worldwide for married couples takes place at the Casa.

Nov. 6, 1952 – Stations of the Cross by artist Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti are installed.

1953 – Fr. Owen, Fr. Conrad Wear, and Very Reverend David Temple led a pilgrimage of 80 people from the Casa community to Guadalupe, Mexico.

April 24, 1954 – The Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine by artist Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti is installed. Art conservators today believe it may be the largest example of Della Robbia style ceramic in Arizona.

June 19, 1954 – Ground breaking for the new chapel, built to accommodate approximately 60 people

Dec. 13, 1954 – First Mass in the new chapel was celebrated. Eight mass were held simultaneously.

Feb. 1, 1955 – Groundbreaking for a “Community House” (the friary)

Dec. 11, 1955 – The new chapel is dedicated as Our Lady of Solitude with Bishop Gerke as presider and Bishop Green as celebrant at the first Mass held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine

1956 – Building continues with a new retreatant’s wing, called Perricone Hall. A casita next door is purchased as named Alhambra Hall.

June 8, 1956 – Fr. Owen is transferred to a new assignment. Fr. Conrad Wear becomes his successor to lead the Casa as new Superior.

1959 – Attendance increased to 2,300 retreatants and 1,700 church worshipers. Fr. Ivo O’Sullivan arrives on loan from the Irish Province.

1960s – The universal church sees declining numbers yet elects the nation’s first Catholic president. The dynamism of this decade leads the Casa to shift its focus from solitude and piety to a new commitment toward educational programs and interaction.

1961 – Fr. Conrad is reassigned. Fr. Ronan O’Sullivan becomes his successor as Superior, working alongside Fr. Ivo O’Sullivan and Fr. Albert Braun.

1965 – Br. Mario Vasquez arrives and begins a vegetable and floral garden.

1970 – The Casa officially becomes the “Franciscan Renewal Center, symbolizing a new focus and the growth of popular activities, such as counseling, scripture study, group discussions, and more. Fr. Michael Weishaar is Superior with Fr. Barry Brunsman and Mary Ann Finch as key leaders during this time. Liturgy becomes a primary concern as word spreads in greater Phoenix about this community. The North America Academy of Liturgy is formed I part through a donation by Virginia G. Piper. The first lecturer was Rev. Eugene Kennedy, followed later in the year by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Oct. 3, 1971 – The chapel is remodeled to accommodate 212 people and rededicated as the Paul V. Galvin Memorial Chapel, in memory of Virginia G. Piper’s first husband.

1973 – Nationally syndicated columnist Erma Bombeck speaks about “The Sense of Humor Involved in Being a Christian.”

April 25, 1976 – The Casa holds its 25th Anniversary with Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine followed by a picnic. Fr. Forrest McDonald replaces Fr. Michael as Superior.

1977 – Fr. Gavin Griffin organizes a 12-Step program at the Casa. The San Jose Building is dedicated (now known as the St. Barbara, St Anges, and St. Luca rooms).

1978 – The Casa edges into social justice activities that extend beyond its walls with the help of Fr. Martin Gates, who ran a Franciscan mission in Guaymas, Mexico.

June 10, 1979 – The Br. Conan Memorial Chapel is erected and dedicated.

March 9, 1980 – the Guadalupe Building with conference rooms and offices is dedicated.

1981 – the first swimming pool is replaced.

1983 – Fr. Luis Baldonado becomes “Director” and creates a full-time position dedicated to social justice

1986 – Fr. Ray Bucher succeeds Fr. Luis as Director.

1988 – The Chapel is enlarged again to now hold 310 people

1990 – 2000 – The Casa sees more lay leadership and corporate framework for an increasingly complex institution. Directorship is divided between Br. Joe Schwab and Charles Brown.

Dec. 12, 1998 – The new friary is completed. Friars in residence at this time are: Br. Joe Schwab, Br. Mario Vasquez, Fr. Peter Kirwin, Fr. Michah Muhlen, and Rusty Shauhgnessy.

Dec. 24, 1999 – the Jubilee Arch is completed as a new entrance into the Casa and a symbol of entering a new millennium.

Feb. 26, 2006 – The Casa’s chapel is rededicated as the Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels and embraces the responsibility of sacramental preparation and Family Catechesis as part of its programming. Bishop Thomas Olmsted presides over the dedication.

2007 – The Casa recognizes a need to repair aging buildings and create more space for families.

2010 – Capital Development Feasibility Study commissioned by Board of Directors to assess possibilities of a comprehensive campus renovation.

2011 – The “RENEWING LIVES Campaign” is conceived to transform and reinvigorate the physical campus. The campaign is sparked by a $3.1 M pledge from the Diane & Bruce Halle of Discount Tire Co. A campaign feasibility study and recruitment of campaign leadership is conducted.

Nov. 1, 2011 – The Casa begins a year-long celebration of prayer and gratitude in honor of its 60th year.

July 2013 – The “RENEWING LIVES Campaign” officially begins. An early gift from the Perricone family of California allows the Casa to tackle the first Key Element of the Master Plan – renovation of 30 guest rooms and reconstruction of the pool plaza.

Aug. 31, 2013 – Family registration at the Casa surpasses 2,000 families.

Oct. 13, 2013 – The Casa celebrates the grand re-opening of its newly remodeled guest rooms and pool plaza, Perricone Plaza.

Nov. 2013 – The Casa begins restoration of its historic Stations of the Cross by Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti.

Mar. 2014 – The Heritage Edition of The Saint John’s Bible is welcomed as a new work of art permanently on display at the Casa.

Jan. 2016 – The Casa breaks ground on the new Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels

Oct. 2017 – The new Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels is dedicated on October 4.   Edit


Our Lady of the Angels Church Historical Photos

Page administrator

Contact Email:

The power of Christian prayer "As is the business of tailors to make clothes and cobblers to make shoes, so it is the business of Christians to pray."
Martin Luther
This page was last updated on the 25th of June, 2019
Please enter the correct information below. Thank you!
Subject:
Message:
Your Name:
Your Email:
This church page is missing mass times. Please help this page visitors by submitting Our Lady of the Angels Church Mass Times. Thank you!
Subject:
Our Lady of the Angels Church mass times
Message:
Your Name:
Your Email:
Our Lady of the Angels Church Contact Form
Subject:
Your Name:
Your Email:
Message:
Go to top arrow Go to bottom arrow