Who we are

Revision of weekend Mass Times in Monkstown

Dear Parishioners,

As many of you will know, before Fr. Coady left the Parish in September, we as a Parish Pastoral Council had been looking at the number of Sunday Masses in our parish. This was accelerated when in the past 18 months; Fr. Coady was left on his own to cover all of the masses where up to that time he had been blessed with the tremendous support of Fr. Dowling and Canon O’Moore.

With Fr. Kevin’s arrival, he thought it best to give it time before any more change was undertaken and also to give him a chance to gauge the needs of our Parish. In the months since Fr. Kevin’s arrival, we have looked at the attendance numbers over the past couple of years and have seen that the numbers attending Mass on any given weekend rarely exceeds five hundred, spread over four masses. On some Sundays there have been as few as fifty people at some of the Masses.

Given that we have only one priest and a lack of supply priests, but more importantly the lack of need for four Masses, a review has taken place. If we were to look at numbers attending then we would have just two Masses, one on Saturday Evening and one on Sunday morning, but we the PPC and Fr. Kevin believe that would be a drastic move so we plan to introduce the following changes on the First Sunday of Lent 2019 which falls on the weekend of the 9th/10th of March 2019:

Saturday

6pm - Vigil Mass (Folk Group)

Sunday

10 am – Family Mass (Children’s Choir)

11.30 am – Mass with Senior Choir

The revised Mass times have been made to accommodate the many needs of our parish while also providing different times than our neighbouring Holy Family Parish (Kill of the Grange) whose Sunday morning masses are at: 9am, 10.30am, 12pm. We would love to see three thriving Masses over Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

We appreciate that change is hard and that not all will be in favour of our decision, but unfortunately it is simply not possible to continue with the current schedule. We pray for your understanding and look forward to continuing the work of building the Christian Community here in St. Patrick’s, Monkstown.

The Parish Pastoral Council, Fr. Kevin, and Deacon Eric




Location of worship

St. Patrick's
Carrickbrennan Road
Monkstown, County Dublin Dublin
Ireland
Phone: (01) 538 2542
Download St. Patrick's Church vCard with Mass Times   Edit

Church Pastor

V. Rev. Kevin Rowan
Parish Priest
The Parochial House, St Patrick's
Carrickbrennan Road, Monkstown
, County Dublin
Ireland
Phone: (01) 538 2542
Download Parish Priest V. Rev. Kevin Rowan vCard   Edit



Quote of the Day
Isaiah 44:22

I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.

Denomination


Affiliations

  Edit

Website


Social media



Leadership

Leader Name:
V. Rev. Kevin Rowan   Edit
Leader Position:
Parish Priest   Edit
Formal Title:
  Edit
Leader Address:
The Parochial House, St Patrick's
Carrickbrennan Road, Monkstown
County Dublin
  Edit
Tel:
Fax:
  Edit
Leader Email:
Leader Bio:
  Edit
  Edit
Other Church Leaders:
Deacon Eric Cooney - Ordained Deacon   Edit

St. Patrick's Church Leadership Photos



Administration

Admin Name:
Ann Acres   Edit
Admin Position:
Secretary   Edit
Admin Address:
  Edit
Tel:
Fax:
  Edit
Admin Email:

Mailing Address

  Edit

Driving Directions to St. Patrick's Church

A Origin:
B Destination:
Carrickbrennan Road, Monkstown, County Dublin
Mode of Travel:




Travel/Directions Tips

Know how to get there? Share the knowledge with others!   Edit


Parking

  Edit


St. Patrick's Church Sunday Mass Times

Year-around Mass Times - St Patrick's - Monkstown

Sundays

6.00pm Vigil (Folk Group)
9.00am (Bilingual)
10.30am (Children's Mass)
12.00 Noon (Adult Choir)

Holydays*

Where holyday is a public holiday**

6.00pm Vigil
9.00am
10.30am
12.00noon

Where holyday is not a public holiday

7.30pm Vigil
10.00am

Weekdays (Mon-Sat)

10.00am

* Check the up-to-date newsletter here:
http://www.monkstownparish.ie/newsletter.pdf
** e.g. St Patrick's Day

Mass Times last updated on the 13th of March, 2019   Edit


Worship Languages

  Edit


Dress Code

  Edit


Children and Youth Activities

Under 12s:
  Edit
Under 18s:
  Edit

A Pocket Catechism for Kids by Fr. Kris Stubna & Mike Aquilina

Parenting Without Regret

Local outreach & community activities

  Edit

Other activities & ministries

  Edit

Special Needs

  Edit

Prayers and Hymns

Main Bible:
  Edit
Hymns and Songs:
  Edit


Other information

Average Adult Congregation:
  Edit
Average Youth Congregation:
  Edit
Additional Info:
  Edit


St. Patrick's Church Photos




History of St. Patrick's Monkstown County Dublin

History and construction

Foundation Stone

In 1829, a week before Catholic Emancipation, the parish of Kingstown was constituted, with Canon Bartholomew Sheridan (Editors note:-incorrectly listed as "Sheehan" in the 1966 booklet "Monkstown: The Story of a Parish) as it's first parish priest. His parish stretched over a wide area including Monkstown, Dalkey, Killiney, Glasthule. He was a great church-builder. St Patrick's, Monkstown was the last of 5 churches commissioned by him in 1861. The foundation stone was laid on June 29th 1861. The site had earlier been purchased from the James Doherty, Solicitor, of Broomwood, Monkstown. Canon Sheridan’s intention was to build a replica of Dalkey church, which he himself had commissioned some years previously. But he died before much progress had been made. The following is an extract from The Tablet July 6th 1861.

The Tablet, Saturday July 6th 1861

LAYING THE FIRST STONE OF THE NEW CHURCH OF ST. PATRICK'S, MONKSTOWN

The first stone of the new catholic church which is proposed to be built at Monkstown was laid on Saturday, the Feast of SS. Peter and Paul, by his Grace the Archbishop of Dublin, at Broomwood, in the presence of a large number of Clergy, and a very numerous assemblage of the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood. The churches which Canon Sheridan can point to as having been erected by him within the period mentioned are-- St Michael's Church in Kingstown; the Church of the Assumption in Dalkey; the Church of St. Alphonsus in Ballybrack, which is a really beautiful structure; the Church of St. Peter in Little Bray; the Church of St Bridget in Cabinteely, and all of the churches are furnished with organs. The erection of the church in Ballybrack cost him 3,000£, and, ------ied in the good work, he has in contemplation the erection of a church in Glasthule. It has been the custom for many years of Canon Sheridan to lay by each year a sum of money to meet the expense of erecting churches. Within the last thirty years he has expended 7,000£ of his own money in this manner.

Shortly before three o' clock a procession was formed, and his Grace the Archbishop was conducted to the ground where preparations had been made for the laying of the stone. Among the clergymen who participated in the edifying proceedings of the day were were the Most Rev. Dr Hynes, the Very Rev. Canon Sheridan, P.P. Kingstown, Very Rev. Monsignor Y---, Very Rev. Dr. Lee, P.P. Bray; Rev Mr Kavanagh, C.C. Kingstown; Rev P. McCabe, C.C. ditto; Rev J Leahy, C.C. ditto; Rev. B Sheridan jnr, --- C.C. ditto; Rev J Harold, C.C. Little Bray; Rev J Flanagan, C.C. Cabinteely; Rev. F O Donnell, C.C. Dalkey; Rev John O'Rorke, Chaplain of St Mary's Convent; Rev. Mr. Crone, Chaplain of St Patrick's Convent, O------; Rev Mr O'Reilly, Maynooth College; Rev. Mr. Rogers, Seminary, Clonliffe &c., &c. The masters of ceremonies on the occasion were the Rev. Mr McCabe and the Rev. B Sheridan jnr. and the Revs B Harold and J Cavanagh were choiristors.

His Grace the Archbishop having laid the first stone of the future church of St. Patrick, addressed the large number of persons who witnessed the ceremony and gave the ----- episcopal benediction to the assembled multitude.

The architect of the new church is Mr P Byrne. The architecture will be purely Gothic, and it is expected that the sacred ediface will be erected by next St Patrick's Day. It will be 120 feet long, the transcept 70 feet and the nave 42 feet. The Rev. Canon Sheridan, P.P has given a subscription of 100£ towards the erection of the building; Very Rev Monsignor Y--- 50£ and Thomas Carey, Esq., of Sussex-place, Kingstown, 50£.

After the ceremony the Very Rev. Canon Sheridan entertained His Grace the Archbishop and several of the local clergy at Lodge Park, Kingstown.

Re-Design

The new PP Canon James Cavanagh, considered such a design obsolete and unsuited to the locality. He commissioned George Coppinger Ashlin (1837 – 1921) and Edward Welby Pugin (1834–1875) to draw up a new design.
By late 1863 things had progressed to the point where the London-based magazine "Builder" on 28th Nov was able to report that "at Monkstown, city Dublin, a new Roman Catholic church is about to be erected. The building will be in the Early Geometric style, and will accommodate about 1,500 persons. A tower and spire will stand at the south aisle, and will rise to the height of 160 feet, forming a prominent feature of the building seen from the sea. The west gable will be pierced by a circular wheel window, under which will be two canopied doorways. There will be a colossal figure of the patron saint, St Patrick, supported on an Aberdeen granite column rising from between these doorways. At the extremity of the aisle will stand the baptistery, forming a western transept. In the interior, a new feature has been introduced in the clerestory, which will be formed by an arcade of detached shafts and arches. The chancel will be separated from the nave by an arch supported on marble columns and will be lighted by seven lofty two-light windows, in which will be represented, in stained glass, the figures of our Lord and the twelve Apostles. The cost, including spire, will be about £7,000. The designs are by Messrs Pugin & Ashlin, of Dublin"
(Editors note:- There was a convention of naming the altar end of a church as the east end, regardless of its actual orientation. (1) the "west gable" referred to is actually on the north-east end of the church (2) the tower and spire is on the northmost corner. The stained glass windows actually installed do not depict our Lord and the twelve Apostles. )

The Architects

E. W. Pugin was the son of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, and a member of the most distinguished family of architects of the time. The older Pugin had designed many churches and cathedrals, and is best remembered for his design of the Houses of Parliament at Westminster, and in Ireland for his designs of St Patricks College, Maynooth, and for Enniscorthy and Killarney cathedrals. E. W. Pugin was responsible in whole or in partnership for over 100 Catholic churches in Ireland and England.
George Ashlin was the partner in the Pugin firm with responsibility for Irish work. He married Mary Pugin, a sister of E.W.Pugin. Together, the Pugin/Ashlin partnership, which had offices at 90 St Stephens Green was responsible for about 22 Irish churches and some other buildings. Monkstown readers will be familiar with Glasthule and Donnybrook churches, both of which are Pugin/Ashlin designs and have many features similar to St Patricks.

Contract for construction

On December 30th 1863, a contract was signed with Michael Meade, Builder, of Great Brunswick St, Dublin for the construction of the church. The agreed price was £5,450, excluding the spire, and the work was scheduled for completion in one and a half years.

In 1865, Canon Cavanagh died before seeing the results of his commission. He was replaced by Monsignor Edward McCabe, P.P., (later to become Cardinal Archbishop of Dublin)

Some months later, on 1st December 1865, the Dublin Builder reported that "this church which is at present in the course of erection, is in the French Pointed style. Exclusive of sacristies &c., it is 180ft in length by 60ft in width. The principal view of the building obtained from the Dublin Road is the western front, which has been made as effective as possible on this account. The tower, which stands at the S.W. angle, has been somewhat detached from the nave wall to give greater width. The baptistery occupies the opposite angle, and has an aspidal termination projecting from the lines of the aisle walls. The entire breadth of this front is nearly 80 feet. There are two doorways in the the west gable, between which will stand a statue of the patron saint. These are surrounded by an arcade of five arches, supported on Aberdeen Granite columns over which is the rose window. The whole is enclosed by a lofty arch rising from the ground. The clerestory are arranged internally in the form of a continuous arcade resting on red sandstone columns. The other internal features will be sufficiently explained by the accompanying view."

The "accompanying view", which can be seen here is a drawing by Pugin and Ashlin of the church interior, with no seats in place. There are slight differences from the finished church as it is now. In particular, the drawing shows decorated panels on the ceiling. Whether these were put in place and have been painted over is not known. There are, of course, modern modifications to the altar area and altar rails as well as the removal of the pulpit, all dating from the post-Vatican II period.

Although the actual construction took over two and a half years, it would appear even by modern standards to have been a very rapid construction. The table below shows that materials had to be brought in from a variety of locations within Ireland and from various places abroad. There were very limited mechanical aids available to assist in the construction.

Dedication and opening

On 8th September of 1866, with some unfinished items still outstanding, the dedication and opening was announced in the Freeman's Journal:-


THE CARDINAL ARCHBISHOP
will dedicate the new church of St Patrick, Monkstown
On Sunday September 16th 1866.
Tickets of Admission:

Large Pink Family Ticket, to admit Three to Upper Part of Nave


£1 5 0
Small Pink Ticket, to admit One 0 10 0
Large Yellow Family Ticket, to admit Three to Upper part of either Aisle 1 0 0
Small Yellow Ticket, to admit one 0 7 6
Small Blue Ticket, to admit one to Lower Part of Nave 0 5 0
Small White Ticket, to Admit One to Lower Part of either Aisle 0 2 6

Tickets can be had in KINGSTOWN at Miss Benson's, Upper Georges Street; in Dublin at Messrs Lesage, Sackville-street; Messrs Dollard's, 9 Dame street; and at Mr Duffy's, Welling ton Quay.
The function will commence at 11 o'Clock
Mr Hamilton Croft, the Musical Director, has been preparing a large Choir, consisting of a full instrumental band and efficient Chorus, numbering between Fifty and Sixty.
The Music to be performed on the occasion is
HAYDN'S IMPERIAL MASS No. 3
And at the Benediction of the Most Holy Sacrament
ROSSINI'S ADMIRED TANTUM ERGO
All the celebrated Amatuers of Dublin and Kingstown have kindly promised their assistance to the distinguished professional performers Mr Hamilton Croft has engaged.

One week later, on Sept 15th 1866, on the eve of the dedication, the Freeman's Journal reported with typical Victorian style:-


CHURCH OF ST. PATRICK, MONKSTOWN
On to-morrow his Eminence the Cardinal Arch-bishop of Dublin will dedicate the above-named exquisite new church to the service of God. The ceremonials will be of the most solemn and impressive character, and the sacred music will be performed by vocalists including the most distinguished in the city, a chorus numbering fifty voices, and a full orchestral band, under the conductorship of Mr. Hamilton Croft. The collections and the means acquired by the sale of tickets will go to liquidate the heavy debt incurred by the Very Rev. Monsignor McCabe, V.G., the venerated pastor who earnestly solicits the kind and generous co-operation of his fellow citizens in the accomplishment of the great work which he has undertaken to accomplish.

The dedication was performed by Paul Cardinal Cullen. There was a temporary altar and a temporary pulpit, and the spire was half-finished.

Fr James Leahy was moved from Kingstown to Monkstown as the first resident curate.

The spire was completed about 1881, under the supervision of John Loftus Robinson, using funds donated by a parishioner, Patrick Madden.

The Parochial House, adjacent to St Patrick's was built in 1892 as a curates house.

The assistance of Gerard Hyland of The Pugin Society is acknowledged.

Parish Priests through the years - St Patrick's, Monkstown

Robert (Canon) Eaton 1902-1923
John Healy 1923-1925
John (Canon) Fennelly 1925-1934
Laurence (Canon) Sheehan 1934-1956
Joseph (Canon) Matthews 1956-1966
Thomas Barry 1966-1974
Thomas Murphy 1975-1985
Brian Fitzgerald 1985-1990
Thomas (Canon) Randles 1990-1994
Maurice (Canon) O'Moore 1994-2004
Martin Clarke 2004-2009
Michael Coady 2009-2018
Kevin Rowan 2018-   Edit


St. Patrick's Church Historical Photos

Page administrator

Contact Email:

The power of Christian prayer "In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart".
John Bunyan
This page was last updated on the 13th of March, 2019
Please enter the correct information below. Thank you!
Subject:
Message:
Your Name:
Your Email:
This church page is missing mass times. Please help this page visitors by submitting St. Patrick's Church Mass Times. Thank you!
Subject:
St. Patrick's Church mass times
Message:
Your Name:
Your Email:
St. Patrick's Church Contact Form
Subject:
Your Name:
Your Email:
Message:
Go to top arrow Go to bottom arrow