Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

M6N 3S3


Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Who we are

St. Mary and St. Martha

The Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha is a new, growing, and diverse community of faith where we together are learning what it means to follow Jesus in the west end of Toronto.

We build on the history and deep roots of four previous Anglican churches in the area: St. John’s, The Church of the Good Shepherd, St. David’s and The Church of the Advent.

We are truly seeing God doing something new - in our lives, our families, our church and our neighbourhood and we invite you to take part in this too.

Feel free to check us out, drop by for one of our services or just come by and say hello. The door is always open!

In the middle of the 19th century the area bounded by St. Clair Avenue, highway 401, Keele Street and the Humber River was on the outskirts of Toronto as we know it today. Settlement along the riverbank, rapid industrialization and the arrival of the railroads from the 1850s onwards brought many settlers to the area. Millers, farmers, tradesmen and merchants, they were mostly of British origin with their roots in the Church of England.

In response to this growth, the Anglican Diocese of Toronto established several mission churches under the leadership of local established congregations. The people of the new parish of St. Mary and St. Martha find their roots in these vibrant mission churches.

St. John’s, Weston Road
The Church of the Good Shepherd
St. David’s, Lawrence Avenue West
The Church of the Advent

In May 2015 the four churches voted to amalgamate, and the first service of the new Church of St. Mary and St. Martha was held on October 11, 2015. Since then we have been growing as one joyful congregation learning to love and serve God and our neighbours in the Weston-Mount Dennis area.

Location of Worship


Church Pastor

The Rev. Canon Beth Benson
Priest in Charge
1149 Weston Rd
Toronto, ON M6N 3S3
Canada
Phone: 4168092103

Download Priest in Charge The Rev. Canon Beth Benson vCard with leader Bio

Quote of the Day
Psalms 51:12

Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Denomination


Affiliations:




Website:



Social Media




Leadership

Leader Name:
The Rev. Canon Beth Benson
Leader Position:
Priest in Charge
Formal Title:
Leader Address:
Tel:
Fax:

Leader Email:
Leader Bio:
The Rev. Canon Beth Benson is our Priest in Charge. She is a graduate of Wycliffe College at the Toronto School of Theology and was ordained in 2004. Before her appointment to St. Mary and St. Martha, she served at St. Cuthbert’s, Leaside and St. Timothy’s, Agincourt. Beth and her husband Bill have two grown daughters. Canon Beth is our senior priest and pastor.
Other Church Leaders:

The Rev. Canon Beth Benson on Social Media:


Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha Leadership Photos

Priest in Charge The Rev. Canon Beth Benson


Administration

Admin Name:
Elizabeth Nelson
Admin Position:
Parish Administrator
Admin Address:
Telephone:
Fax:

Admin Email:

Mailing Address



Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha on the map




Driving Directions to Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha

Origin:
Destination:
1149 Weston Rd, Toronto,
Mode of Travel:

Travel/Directions Tips

We gather for worship at 1149 Weston Road on Wednesday at noon and Sunday morning at 10:30am.

There is limited parking available in front of the Church as well as in a parking lot at the rear of the building, off Brownville Avenue. There is a municipal lot nearby and parking on Weston Road is usually available on Sunday morning. Presently we are not wheelchair accessible but that is a priority that we are working on and hope to have resolved soon.


Parking



Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha Toronto Service Times

Worship Services

We worship in the Anglican tradition, gathering on Sunday at 10:30 am as well as at 12:00 pm on Wednesdays.

10:30 am Sunday:

A contemporary communion service using the Book of Alternative Services with choral music and programming for children. Learn more about our music program and our children’s programming: office@stmaryandstmartha.org

12:00 pm Wednesday:

Take a break from your busy week with this quiet, traditional service. About 40 minutes, followed by a community lunch.

Service Times last updated on the 18th of April, 2019


Worship Languages


Dress code:

Whatever you like! You will find that many people in our congregation still prefer to “dress up” for services, but there is variety and some come in casual clothes as well.

Children and Youth Activities

Under 12s:

Under 18s:

Local outreach & community activities:

Other activities & ministries

ComSup

A weekly Community Supper at 5:00pm on Thursdays at Weston Presbyterian Church. All are welcome to eat and to serve together. This isn’t just about making sure that people get fed, but about seeing a community of support and faith gather around tables together to eat and be nurtured in Christ.

Food Access

Our part of town has been identified as a “priority neighbourhood” by the city. One of the ways we are collaborating with our neighbours to improve life here is in the area of food access. We’re starting small this year by supporting our local foodbank and tending to a reinvigorated community garden.

Neighbourhood Collaboration

There are so many great organizations working towards the good of the neighbourhood, and we want to partner with and encourage this work as much as possible. So far we have collaborated with groups like UrbanArts, which runs various programming for youth, and the Mount Dennis Community Association, which puts on great community events throughout the year like Party by the Pond.

FaithWorks

We contribute to FaithWorks, the Anglican Diocese of Toronto’s ongoing appeal for those in need. Since 1996 FaithWorks has provided more than $24 million to not-for-profit groups offering help and hope to those in need not only in the Greater Toronto Area but throughout Canada’s far north and around the world.


Special Needs:


Prayers and hymns:

Main Bible:
Hymns and Songs:

Other information:

Average Adult Congregation:
Average Youth Congregation:
Additional Info:


Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha Photo Gallery

Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha, Toronto, Ontario, Canada



Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha History

Located at the busy intersection of Eglinton Avenue West and Weston Road, the Church of the Good Shepherd first served the growing population of settlers living and working in the Village of Mount Dennis.

It began in 1911 as a Mission Church of St. John’s Weston Road, meeting in a house on Brownville Avenue. Within a year, the Rev. M. Barrow was appointed priest–in-charge under the supervision of the Rector of Weston, and work on the church building at its present site got underway. The church was well and truly built, much of it by skilled voluntary labour.

In May 1912, the Rector and Churchwardens of St. John’s Weston made application to the Lord Bishop of Toronto to set apart the southern part of the Parish of Weston as a Missionary District called Mount Dennis. Still connected to St. John’s and with the Rev. A.J. Arthur as its priest-in-charge, the congregation flourished, and the new church was officially opened and dedicated on February 1, 1915. With financial independence assured by the support of the congregation, Bishop James Sweeney set apart the Mission District as the Church of the Good Shepherd, Mount Dennis, on March 4, 1919, appointing the Rev. A.J. Arthur as its first Rector.

Several years later, sufficient funds were raised to enlarge the church. Extension work began in 1948, completing the west end, lengthening the nave, adding a porch and an enclosed staircase. The Memorial Tower was also completed as the entrance into the church. Bishop R. Beverly dedicated the finished church on February 23, 1949.

The people of the Church of the Good Shepherd were known for their service to those in need in their neighbourhood. A soup kitchen operated from the basement in the difficult years of the Depression, a ministry that continued for many years. With strong lay leadership, the church was a popular place for small groups to meet and for social gatherings. Girl Guides began in 1921 and within a few years Sparks, Brownies, Pathfinders and Cadets were all meeting at the church. Cubs, Scouts and Venturers met there, too. The theatrical productions of the Anglican Young Peoples’ Association were renowned, with the proceeds used for church purposes. The clergy of the Good Shepherd were known for excellent preaching, and the parish had a strong reputation for Christian formation. At one time the “Bible Class” had over 200 on the class roll, led by the Rector’s wife, Mrs. Arthur.

Anglican Church of St. Mary and St. Martha Historical Photos



Page administrator:

Contact Email: