St John's Church

KA30 8BL

St John's Church, Largs, Scotland, United Kingdom
St John's Church, Largs, Scotland, United Kingdom

Who we are

St John's is a Congregation of the Church of Scotland. The Congregational Roll stands at around 725.

We are an active congregation which prides itself in giving a warm and friendly welcome. Visitors are always welcome.

An average Sunday morning attendance would be of the order of 100-150 with around a further 20 children and young people in Sunday School for primary school children, and Freeway for secondary school age.

Sunday evening services are held on the last Sunday of each month and are attended by around 40-50 people.

From May till September, the church is open each Tuesday morning, 10.30am-12.30pm and each Thursday afternoon, 2pm-4pm. Members and visitors are welcome to come along.

A Weekly Fellowship for Prayer and Bible Study takes place with approximately 15 attending each week.

There is a well maintained suite of halls which is widely used and which can be accessed from the rear of the church on Church Street.

St John's has a strong evangelical tradition with an emphasis on a Bible teaching ministry. The New International Version of the Bible is used in worship and copies are available in the pews. Praise is taken from Mission Praise and/or Church Hymnary with participation by the Church Choir.

Transport can be provided to and from services and tape recordings of all services are available as required.

Disabled access is available to the church and halls and an induction loop system is fitted in the church and the Dunn Memorial Hall.

A weekly intimation sheet is published each Sunday. Information regarding services and weekly events is contained on this sheet.

Details of all services and events appear each week in the Largs and Millport Weekly News.

A monthly bulletin is circulated around the congregation by Lady Visitors and extra copies of this are available on request.

The congregation has a Church of Scotland Missionary Partner, Miss Helen Scott who is based as a teacher at Ekwendeni in Malawi. Some organisations and individuals within the congregation have Tear Fund child sponsorships in different parts of the world.

Communion services are held on the last Sunday of January, April and October and also on the Thursday evening of Holy Week.

Enquiries about marriage services and baptisms should be directed to the Minister or Session Clerk.

Anyone, including new residents to the town, who may be considering becoming part of the family of St John's, or who may wish further information about the congregation, should feel free to contact the Minister or Session Clerk.

Church Address

Bath Street
Largs, Scotland KA30 8BL
United Kingdom
Phone: 01475 674468

Download vCard with Service Times

Church Pastor

Rev. Jonathan C. Fleming MA BD
Bath Street
Largs, Scotland KA30 8BL
United Kingdom
Phone: 01475 675974

Download Minister Rev. Jonathan C. Fleming MA BD vCard with Bio

Quote of the Day
Matthew 7:7

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:




Social Media


Leader Name:
Rev. Jonathan C. Fleming MA BD
Leader Position:
Formal Title:
Leader Address:

Leader Email:
Leader Bio:
Jonathan Fleming has been Minister of Largs: St John’s Church linked with Cumbrae Parish Church since October 2017.

This is his second charge, having been the Minister of Erskine Parish Church as well as the Padre to ERSKINE.

Originally from Bearsden and Milngavie, Jonathan attended The Glasgow Academy, before studying French Language and Literature, followed by Information Management and Preservation at The University of Glasgow.

Due to family circumstances, Jonathan joined his family-run food wholesale business in 2005. Having studied for five years for his MA, it came as a shock when he obtained a forklift licence in 80 minutes and used it a lot more than his first degree!​

Feeling God’s call to Ministry, Jonathan returned to The University of Glasgow in 2008 to study Divinity, graduating in 2011.​

Ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament in November 2012, Jonathan lives in Largs with his wife Karyn and his two daughters, Rachel and Hollie.

In 2015, Jonathan was awarded the title of ‘Citizen of the Year’ by Erskine Community Council for his leadership of the community work undertaken by Erskine Parish Church. He is a contributor to Spill the Beans and regularly contributes to the Weekly Worship resources for the Church of Scotland.

When he is not spending time with the family, Jonathan loves writing, playing and listening to music as well as photography, cooking and tinkering with computers.
Other Church Leaders:

Rev. Jonathan C. Fleming MA BD on Social Media:

St John's Church Leadership Photos

Minister Rev. Jonathan C. Fleming MA BD


Admin Name:
Admin Position:
Admin Address:

Admin Email:

Mailing Address

22 Gogoside Road
KA30 9LU

St John's Church on the map

Driving Directions to St John's Church

St John's Church - Bath Street, Largs, Scotland
Mode of Travel:

Travel/Directions Tips

Transport to and from Sunday morning services is available by telephoning Christine Hitter on 01475 675796. Members with transport difficulties for evening services should contact the Session Clerk who may be able to arrange for transport by car.


St John's Church Largs Service Times

Church services are held every Sunday at 10am. An evening service is held on the last Sunday of every month at 6.30pm.

All are very welcome to attend. Visitors are encouraged to introduce themselves to our door duty team. Visitors are also encouraged to sign the Visitor's book in the vestibule and are welcome to sit anywhere in the Church.

Café Church

It's church, but not as you know it! Café church is coffee with a conscience - a fresh expression of community based in Costa Coffee at The Pierhead. Come along every first and third Sunday of the month from 6 till 7pm.

Service Times last updated on the 30th of October, 2018

Worship Languages

Dress code:

Children and Youth Activities

Under 12s:

Under 18s:

Local outreach & community activities:

Other activities & ministries

Special Needs/Accessibility:

Prayers and hymns:

Main Bible:
New English Bible
Hymns and Songs:

Other information:

Average Adult Congregation:
Average Youth Congregation:
Additional Info:

St John's Church Photo Gallery

St John's Church, Largs, Scotland, United Kingdom
St John's Church, Largs, Scotland, United Kingdom

St John's Church History

The origins of the congregation of St John's, Largs lie in the formation of the free Church of Scotland following the disruption of 1843.

Immediately after this historic event Revd John Dow of the Parish Church in Largs, along with two hundred members of his congregation, established the Free Church in Largs.

The foundation stone for the Largs Free Church was laid on 28th September 1843. The original building was a small simple construction consisting of four whinstone walls and a bell tower. This typical Free Church design allowed places of worship to be provided very quickly. A central pulpit jutted out from the east gable wall.

In 1886, plans were submitted for the reconstruction of the church. The architect was a young man of singular promise, Archibald J Grahame. Sadly, he contracted malaria while in Italy studying architecture and died in his twenty eighth year before building work on the church commenced. St John's Church stands as the only memorial to his genius.

The architecture of the reconstructed church was in the French Romanesque style. The whinstone north, east and south walls of the original churchwere retained. The entire west gable was removed and replaced by agallery, vestibule and session house. The central pulpit was removed.In the east wall an apse, reckoned to be one of the finest in Scotland,was reconstructed with a stone pulpit placed to one side. A transcept, with gallery above, was built out from the south wall. At the northeast corner, a tower of graceful lines in keeping with the Italian architecture was constructed. The total cost of the reconstructed building was 5084 7s 8d.

After the reconstruction of the building, the church was still known as Largs Free Church. Following the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900 to form the United Free Church of Scotland, the building became known as St John's Church. The minister at the time of the reconstruction was Dr Charles Watson. Of all the writers of the new testament, John was his favourite. This beloved apostle's mind appealed to Dr Watson. He spoke, lectured and wrote on him frequently. Because of Dr Watson's love for this New Testament writer, the Free Church congregation displayed their regard for their minister by giving the name St John to the Church.

Texts were carved in the stone above the two exterior vestibule doors - the one on the south reading "If any man will do His will he shall know of the doctrine"; and on the north, "Show me Thy ways, O God, and lead me in a plain path.". Inside the vestibule, two other inscriptions are carved. The welcoming text from the first verse of Psalm 122, "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord," is found above the doorway into the Church, while over the entrance to the Session House (now the Simpson Memorial Room), an inscription reads,"Guide us by Thy Counsel.".

In 1951, the stone pulpit was replaced by a smaller wooden one. This serves as a memorial to those young men of the congregation who gave their lives during the Second World War.

On the north wall, there are three window representing Moses, Isaiah and John the Baptist. Beyond the pulpit are two windows depicting Martha and Mary. On the south wall there is a window of Paul.

It is fitting that within the church, there should be some memorial to Archibald John Grahame, its architect. This takes the form of several stained glass windows. In the apse, there are five windows gifted by his father, mother and aunt. These depict Our Lord Jesus Christ and the four evangelists; Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. On the north wall under the back gallery, is a shepherd boy. This was gifted by some of Archibald Grahame's friends.

Three windows, the work of Douglas Strachan, are to be found in the vestibule. There were installed in 1911 by the congregation to mark the esteem in which the held Dr Watson. Unsurprisingly, two of them are scenes from the life of St John - one depicts John taking the mother of Jesus to his home, while the other shows the apostle in exile as he hears the voice of God giving him his Devine revelation. The third window depicts Jesus ordaining the twelve, that they might preach and heal.

The memorial windows are located in the transept gallery. These are the work of Douglas Hamilton. The west window depicts the youthful David with the sword of Goliath, while the sheep in the background remind us that he was a shepherd boy. The window to the east portrays David as he pours out the water which three brave men have risked their lives to bring to him. The theme of this window is sacrifice.

Three windows in the former Session House take their theme from Psalm 84.

St John's Church Historical Photos

Page administrator:

Contact Email: